Recipe by Buster's friend
Received in email - will try when my San Marzanos ripen. This may be just the thing for canned tomatoes next winter when citrus comes into season but will splurge for at least one summer orange to try her out with fresh tomatoes. Received in email from gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed
- 2 cups tomatoes, cored and chopped with liquid
- 1 pinch cayenne (1/2 teaspoons paprika OK)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 orange, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the oil in a 10-inch skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat. A minute later, add the garlic and cook, stirring and turning the cloves occasionally, until they are slightly browned (but do not burn!), 5 to 10 minutes. Add the tomato and stir, then remaining ingredients.
- Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers steadily and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until thick and quite tasty.
- Remove the orange, and serve hot.