Prep 5 mins
Cook 16 mins
We enjoyed this delicious bread everywhere we went in Barcelona, they put it out on the table when you first arrive and it is irresistable! But the best part is, it's incredibly easy!!
- 4 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, rind of (separate, not mixed together)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (separate, not mixed together)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 flat loaf ciabatta (or other similar style)
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place tomatoes, garlic, salt, lemon rind and brown sugar in a saucepan.
- Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have released their juices.
- Split bread loaf in half horizontally, then cut each half into 3-4 pieces. Bake 5-8 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- While the bread bakes, stir lemon juice and olive oil into the tomato mixture. Cook uncovered for 8 minutes more, until thick and pulpy.
- Spread tomato mixture on top of the hot bread pieces, sprinkle with fresh ground pepper, and serve.
A good one! Very easy. Very yummy especially as I was using my home grown tomatoes. A nice hit of garlic. Thanks for the recipe, BB