Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is SUCH a great recipe! I found it in a supermarket recipe leaflet, and I have made these tasty little toasted sandwiches regularly since then. They are GREAT for Tapas style appetisers or, serve them for a light lunch or snack. Try to use a high quality chorizo that contains real Spanish smoked paprika. If you cannot source "Membrillo", a Spanish quince paste, then you could use a high fruit content jam or preserve. Serve these as appetisers with glasses of chilled Fino sherry. Alternatively, these can be served for a light lunch or a snack.
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons membrillo quince paste
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, thinly sliced and with skin taken off
- 1 ounce butter, melted
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Spread 4 slices of bread with the Membrillo, quince paste.
- Add the slices of Manchego cheese and Chorizo.
- Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread to make a sandwich.
- Brush the melted butter over the all sides of the sandwiches and then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan/skillet.
- Fry the sandwiches on both sides, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Trim the crusts if you wish - I don't bother!
- Cut each sandwich in to 3 lengths or 6 squares and serve them hot.
- Wonderful with roasted almonds and chilled Fino Sherry.
This makes an attractive and enticing appetizer! Alas, I did not find high-quality chorizo, nor did I find quince paste, so I used the local grocer's chorizo (I didn't even know it had skin but it did! lol) and homemade blueberry preserves. I used a baguette, too. I did find a high-quality manchego cheese which added some delight to this! Thanks, French Tart! Made for TYM tag game.
I tried this and it was good but large. I tried open quarters of bread instead. Butter one side and smear membrillo on the other side. Chop the chorizo into small chunks. I fried them a bit to remove some fat and to brown the edges for extra flavor. Lastly, top with cheese. Bake in a medium oven for approx 5 mins or until the cheese is a bit brown.