Recipe by Sharon123
Submitted by Lillian Julow, from Gainesville, FL, a 2009 Finalist in the Chicken Cooking Contest, put on by the National Chicken Council. Enjoy!
Top Review by weekend cooker
Great tasting ckicken !! We absolutely enjoyed all the flavoring here . I did add a little more pepper, personnal preference. This one is a keeper here. Great meal for a nice simple dinner. Made for recipe swap#+33
- 3 lbs mixed bone-in skin on chicken breasts and chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 cup blanched whole almond
- 2 slices about 1/2 inch thick French bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- On tray in oven(or in toaster oven), place almonds and bread. Bake at 350° F until light brown, 3-5 minutes, turning once. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With scissors, trim chicken skin so it just covers meat. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise (if wings are attached, remove and discard tips). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In large heavy skillet over medium high heat, place olive oil. Add chicken in batches, starting with skin side down and turning once until well browned on all sides; move to 2-l/2 quart casserole with cover.
- Discard oil in skillet but retain browned bits and any remaining chicken juices. Return skillet to medium heat and add butter and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring, until all brown bits are incorporated into the stock mixture; set aside.
- Tear toasted bread into small pieces and place in small bowl containing vinegar. Place almonds in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add soaked bread, cinnamon, ginger and sugar to processor and pulse until smooth. Pour in juices from skillet and process again.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and bake about 30 minutes or until tender and internal temperature reaches 170°F
- Arrange chicken with sauce on platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.