1 hr 15 mins
Submitted by Lillian Julow, from Gainesville, FL, a 2009 Finalist in the Chicken Cooking Contest, put on by the National Chicken Council. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs mixed bone-in skin on chicken breasts and chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup blanched whole almond
- 2 slices about 1/2 inch thick French bread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1On tray in oven(or in toaster oven), place almonds and bread. Bake at 350° F until light brown, 3-5 minutes, turning once. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3With scissors, trim chicken skin so it just covers meat. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise (if wings are attached, remove and discard tips). Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4In large heavy skillet over medium high heat, place olive oil. Add chicken in batches, starting with skin side down and turning once until well browned on all sides; move to 2-l/2 quart casserole with cover.
- 5Discard oil in skillet but retain browned bits and any remaining chicken juices. Return skillet to medium heat and add butter and chicken broth. Simmer, stirring, until all brown bits are incorporated into the stock mixture; set aside.
- 6Tear toasted bread into small pieces and place in small bowl containing vinegar. Place almonds in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add soaked bread, cinnamon, ginger and sugar to processor and pulse until smooth. Pour in juices from skillet and process again.
- 7Pour sauce over chicken, cover and bake about 30 minutes or until tender and internal temperature reaches 170°F
- 8Arrange chicken with sauce on platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Style Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1052.7
- Calories from Fat 672
- Total Fat 74.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.4 g
- Cholesterol 301.8 mg
- Sodium 1132.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 66.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar