Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I got into Spanish dishes awhile back and found this great recipe in my Spanish cookbook. I think this is great for entertaining! This dish has a unique combination of sweet and savory flavors--makes for a delicious pork loin.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 dried figs, chopped
- 8 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless pork loin (preferably with the side flap attached)
- cooking string (I used unwaxed dental floss and it works fine)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil (reserve 1 tbsp OO for later) until soft.
- Remove onion and garlic from heat -- stir in breadcrumbs, figs, olives, almonds, lemon juice, parsley, and egg yolk (this makes the stuffing).
- Unroll belly flap from pork loin to open the loin up -- spread half the stuffing over the flat piece, roll it up, tie the joint at intervals with string.
- Pour remaining oil into small roasting pan -- add the pork loin. Roast for 1 hour 20 minute.
- Take remaining stuffing mix and form into balls -- add to the pan 15-20 min before end of cooking time.
- Let the pork loin rest for 10 min after removing from oven -- take string off before slicing.