Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from Michael Chiarello. This is a great full flavor paella using arborio rice.
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 4 mild Italian sausage, roughly chopped into 1 inch rounds
- 226.79 g dried sausage, roughly chopped
- 4 chicken breast halves, seasoned to taste with paprika,salt and pepper,on both sides,cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 10 peeled iced uncooked shrimp, seasoned to taste with paprika,salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, finely minced
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 709.77 ml arborio rice or 709.77 ml risotto rice
- 354.88 ml white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
Ham hock flavored broth
- 3 ham hocks
- 1 roughly cut onion
- 177.44 ml olive oil
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly cut
- 1 head garlic
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 226.79 g can tomato puree
- 907.18 g carton chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 473.18 ml water
- 0.25 ml saffron
- For ham hock broth:.
- Preheat a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ham hocks and olive oil.
- Allow to caramelize, both sides, for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions and celery, stir in thoroughly.
- Slice 1/2 head of garlic in half.
- With wooden spoon, push mixture aside to create room at bottom of pot for caramelizing the garlic.
- Place each side of the garlic into pot, garlic side down.
- Leave to caramelize for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in paprika, tomato paste, tomato puree, chicken stock, bay leaves, and water.
- Allow to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- Skim off any fat that has formed and add saffron.
- Allow to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Strain and refrigerate to cool.
- Can be made two days ahead.
- Yield: 5-6 cups.
- For Paella:.
- In a large paella pan or large saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil and then fresh sausage.
- Saute for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until sausage is well browned.
- Add chicken and dried sausage to pan and saute 5 to 8 minutes, or until chicken starts to brown.
- Add the shrimp and saute just until the shrimp begin to turn red and curl, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove all meats from paella pan, using a slotted spoon, and place them on cookie tray to cool.
- In the now empty paella pan, sweat the carrots, onions, and celery for about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute with vegetables for another 2 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice, stir and saute until the grains are a pearly white.
- Add white wine, and allow to cook down until almost completely gone.
- Then begin to add broth, about 2 ladles at a time, every 7 to 8 minutes unti1 35 to 40 minutes have passed, or until broth is fully incorporated into rice and vegetables and rice is tender but al dente.
- Stir meat and seafood back in to heat before serving.