3 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from Michael Chiarello. This is a great full flavor paella using arborio rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 mild Italian sausage, roughly chopped into 1 inch rounds
- 1/2 lb dried sausage, roughly chopped
- 4 chicken breast halves, seasoned to taste with paprika,salt and pepper,on both sides,cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 10 peeled iced uncooked shrimp, seasoned to taste with paprika,salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, finely minced
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups arborio rice or 3 cups risotto rice
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
Ham hock flavored broth
- 1For ham hock broth:.
- 2Preheat a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- 3Add ham hocks and olive oil.
- 4Allow to caramelize, both sides, for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- 5Add carrots, onions and celery, stir in thoroughly.
- 6Slice 1/2 head of garlic in half.
- 7With wooden spoon, push mixture aside to create room at bottom of pot for caramelizing the garlic.
- 8Place each side of the garlic into pot, garlic side down.
- 9Leave to caramelize for about 10 minutes.
- 10Mix in paprika, tomato paste, tomato puree, chicken stock, bay leaves, and water.
- 11Allow to simmer for another 45 minutes.
- 12Skim off any fat that has formed and add saffron.
- 13Allow to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- 14Strain and refrigerate to cool.
- 15Can be made two days ahead.
- 16Yield: 5-6 cups.
- 17For Paella:.
- 18In a large paella pan or large saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil and then fresh sausage.
- 19Saute for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until sausage is well browned.
- 20Add chicken and dried sausage to pan and saute 5 to 8 minutes, or until chicken starts to brown.
- 21Add the shrimp and saute just until the shrimp begin to turn red and curl, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 22Remove all meats from paella pan, using a slotted spoon, and place them on cookie tray to cool.
- 23In the now empty paella pan, sweat the carrots, onions, and celery for about 15 minutes.
- 24Add garlic and saute with vegetables for another 2 minutes.
- 25Add the risotto rice, stir and saute until the grains are a pearly white.
- 26Add white wine, and allow to cook down until almost completely gone.
- 27Then begin to add broth, about 2 ladles at a time, every 7 to 8 minutes unti1 35 to 40 minutes have passed, or until broth is fully incorporated into rice and vegetables and rice is tender but al dente.
- 28Stir meat and seafood back in to heat before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Style Paella
Serving Size: 1 (635 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1619.7
- Calories from Fat 738
- Total Fat 82.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 202.1 mg
- Sodium 1504.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 149.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mild Italian sausage