Recipe by Kim127
This recipe is from the July 2007 issue of Bon Appétit. Picada is a Spanish flavoring made with garlic, herbs, and ground nuts.In this recipe, the breadcrumbs replace the nuts. Posted for Spain - ZWT #5. This will serve 6-8 people as a side dish or 4 as the main of a vegetarian meal.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was a delicious dish. We really enjoyed it. I used only 1 eggplant, since my family doesn't care too much for eggplant. But otherwise, I stuck to the recipe as written, and it worked out well for my family. It went quite well with our broiled chicken breasts. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Kim127.
- 3 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 large Japanese eggplants, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 3 slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 medium green zucchini, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices (preferably 2 of each, about 1 pound)
- extra virgin olive oil (for grilling)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare grill to medium heat.
- Arrange vegetables on baking sheets and brush with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill peppers, skin side down and without turning, until blackened and blistered, moving occasionally for even cooking, about 10 minutes. Enclose in plastic bag. Let stand until skins loosen, about 30 minutes.
- Grill eggplants and zucchini until charred and tender, turning and rearranging for even browning, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place on foil lined baking sheet. Peel peppers. Transfer to sheet with eggplants and zucchini. Keep veggies warm.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add breadcrumbs; stir until golden, about 3 minutes. Season breadcrumb picada to taste with salt; scrape into small bowl.
- Place vinegar in another small bowl; whisk in 3 tablespoons oil. Mix in parsley and oregano. Season to taste with salt.
- Arrange vegetables on platter. Spoon herb dressing over; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Serve.