Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 35 mins
Very tasty! This is another dish I like to serve with simple roasted poblanos stuffed with goat cheese and a light green salad, perhaps with a few avocado slices and a sprinkling of pine nuts.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs chicken breasts (bone-in)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted long grain rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- hot pepper sauce or salsa (optional)
- Soak saffron in 2 tbsp of hot water until needed.
- Brown chicken on all sides in skillet in oil and transfer to crockpot.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until tender; add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook just till garlic is aromatic.
- Stir in the rice and coat with the oil and onions.
- Add the saffron, tomatoes, chicken stock, and wine, and transfer mixture to the crockpot, stirring with chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the green peppers, peas, and olives, and cook on high for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with pepper sauce (Tabasco) or salsa, if desired.