Recipe by Raquel Grinnell
My mother is from Spain and this is an amazingly simple but delicious and authentic recipe. The squid are so tender and the sauce is to die for! This is very saucy and is best served over rice.
- 2 lbs squid, cleaned and chopped (bodies cut into rings, legs into similarly-sized chunks)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, chopped (must be fresh, not dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Over high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot, add all ingredients except wine. Stir well and cook until bubbling. Add wine and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and lower to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until squid and onions are tender. Check often.
- Serve over rice. If you have any leftover chopped parsley, sprinkle a bit over each plate. Enjoy!