Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world. Will be flush with spinach here in a few weeks so am looking forward to making this fresh from the garden! Planning to serve as breakfast/lunch with poached eggs (mmmm!) & as a side for roasted poultry & fish. Plan to add a bit of lemon when serving alongside fish.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, about 4 bunches, rinsed, chopped (1 lb. frozen chopped spinach)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (Spanish pimenton)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat, shaking every 30 seconds until they become fragrant & slightly golden. Do not burn by leaving unattended! Dump toasted nuts on a plate to cool.
- If using frozen spinach, microwave 4 to 6 minutes on high with no additional water but do cover them. If using fresh spinach, place rinsed but not dried leaves in a large pan and cook, stirring until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick, nonreactive skillet over medium heat. Add pimenton and cook, stirring about 2 minutes. Add spinach, salt and approximately 2/3 cup water, stirring another minute. Add pine nuts and toss until just heated through.
I used over a pound of fresh spinach (18oz bag) and I still cut back on the paprika. I ended up using just a teaspoon and that was plenty for me. I liked the toasted pine nuts with spinach and I used a little chicken stock instead of water. Good and easy side dish, thanks!!