Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from 365 One Dish Meals. Posting for ZWT3.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring until light beige; 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in onion, celery and green pepper. Cook until onion is just soft; 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until shrimp are pink; 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, green chilies and broth. Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, stir, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle peas over top. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until rice is tender. Dish should have some liquid remaining for a slightly soupy consistency.
- Stir in peas before serving.