Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a shredded pork recipe that has unique and delicious flavors. A nice change from the typical pulled pork with bbq sauce. It comes together easily and needs no tending while it cooks. The only tricky part is finding smoked paprika--I don't think you can find that at the regular market--but I suppose that any sweet or hot 'regular' paprika will do... Measurements of spices are approximate, I usually just sprinkle the meat until it is well-coated.
- 3 lbs boneless pork
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, granulated
- 4 tablespoons onion flakes
- Zest the orange (grate only the colored part of the skin), and juice it.
- In the bottom of your slow cooker or clay pot, sprinkle half of the seasonings and half the orange zest.
- Set the meat atop seasonings, then sprinkle remaining half of seasonings/zest over.
- Pour the orange juice around the meat. Add enough water, if necessary, to just cover the bottom of the pot and moisten any seasoning that didn't adhere to the meat.
- Cook in the oven at about 250 degrees F for 5-6 hours or until it shreds easily with a fork. Or in your crockpot, medium 6-8 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.
- If you want to be more labor-intensive, use fresh sliced onion and minced garlic, butterfly the meat or stab it several times and work the seasoning into the meat before popping it into the oven.
- These flavors could also be used with chicken -- maybe a whole bird, stuff the cavity with the spent orange -- remove the lid to brown the bird for the last 1/2 hour of cooking.
I thought this was sensational. I was happy to find smoked paprika in the local market. I used the crock pot. The meat was so flavorful and tender -- I loved the orange flavor. I served this with Maman's Super Black Bean Casserole, Maman's Super Black Bean Casserole, which was also wonderful, and salad.