Recipe by Mami J
"Merluza con Gambas, Almejas y Patatas" This is a simple dish is made with fish (hake or cod), shrimp and clams and served with potatoes to soak up the tasty broth. Remember to discard any unopened clams that do not close shut when lightly tapped. Found online and posted for ZWT 5.
- 2 lbs hake or 2 lbs cod fish fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if necessary
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 clam, scrubbed clean
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 lb potato, peeled and sliced thick
- crusty bread, slices to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat the fish fillets dry, season with salt on both sides. Place the flour in a shallow dish and dredge the fillet in it. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet and brown the fillets for 130 seconds per side. Remove and cut in large chunks. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the potato slices in salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet (add a little oil if needed), cook the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the white wine and scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan. Pass this sauce to a saucepan, preferably earthenware and add half cup of water, bring to a boil.
- Add the cleaned clams. After five minutes, add the cod pieces. After 2 or 3 minutes add the shrimp. Bring to a boil.
- When the shrimp have turned pink, check seasoning, adding more salt to taste.
- Pour the stew into a platter and garnish with the potato slices. Serve hot accompanied with the bread slices.