Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good, hearty sauce that's great for dipping bread or grilled veggies into.
- 3 mild red chilies
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the tomatoes and bell pepper in half. Scoop out the seeds from the tomatoes and the bell peppers.
- Leave the garlic unpeeled.
- Line a baking pan with foil. Place the tomatoes and bell pepper halves face-up on the pan. Into each half-tomato and half-pepper place one garlic clove, then drizzle with olive oil. The garlic cloves must be completely coated or they will burn.
- Roast these for about 30 minutes.
- While this is roasting, chop the red chillies and place into a food processor (including the seeds). Heat a heavy skillet with some olive oil and toast the hazelnuts. Be careful they do not burn! Place them into the food processor. Using the same skillet, toast the bread on both sides and place into the food processor.
- When roasting is complete, peel the garlic and place the peeled garlic into the food processor. Remove the charred peel from the bell pepper and tomatoes and place the peeled bell pepper and tomatoes into the food processor. Add the red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Process to a paste. If it is too thick, add either lemon juice or olive oil in small amounts until desired texture is reached.
- Serve with grilled veggies and/or toasted french bread.