Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
We love to make these ahead, wrap them individually in foil, freeze them in a plastic bag, then pull them out and bake them when we feel like having a hot lunch.
- Mix all filling ingredients together.
- Slice the rolls in half horizontally.
- Pull some of the insides out of each half roll to form a hollow.
- (I save these bread pieces for a bread pudding.).
- Fill rolls with cheese by putting a mound of the filling in a bottom and putting the top on top.
- Wrap each roll in a piece of foil, using a sandwich wrap to seal it.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- If you freeze them, allow about an hour for the cooking time, although the time can be adjusted according to how crispy you like them.
I grew up with this recipe, we made them every year, and called them New Year's Buns. The only difference i see is we added hard cooked eggs.