Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you want to encourage your family to eat healthy brown rice - this is one way of tempting them! The colour of the rice isn’t as noticeable due to the tomatoes; and I always found that even the fussiest of children would try most things if they included a little cheese. Nutty brown rice and cheese are perfect partners (plus anything else you have to hand: peas, sweetcorn etc) and ingredients I often put together when my boys were growing. Having never thought about recording the quantities however, I was pleased to see a recipe with all the same basic ingredients I use on the netcooks website.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup tomatoes (canned, chopped or 3 fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Fry the onions gently in the olive oil until transparent then add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the cheese and simmer for 25 minutes or until the rice is nice and tender.
- Place in a serving dish or on individual plates and top with the grated cheese.
Sorry I couldn't go higher with the stars, David, but this recipe was lacking for us. We thought it rather bland. None of the ingredients made the dish "pop". Major changes would have to be made for our tastes. Of course, this is just one opinion. Maybe for someone else, this would be the perfect recipe. Made for Fall 2008 My-3-Chefs.