Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a Mediterranean cookbook & saved it here to try later.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lb boneless lean pork, cut into 1 in cubes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pulverized saffron
- 1⁄2-1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, & chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice (preferably imported Spanish rice) or 1 1⁄2 cups medium grain rice (preferably imported Spanish rice)
- 3 cups boiling beef broth or 3 cups boiling vegetable broth
- Heat the oil in a skillet & brown the garlic & pork on all sides. Once done remove the garlic & pork then sauté the onion & peppers in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Mash the garlic into a puree & place into a large casserole along with the pork. Add the parsley, spices, tomatoes, onions, peppers & water, stirring throughly.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425. Then heat the broth in a sauce pan until it begins to boil.
- Pour the boiling broth into the casserole then stir in the rice. Cover & cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Check on the rice, stirring & adding more water if needed. Then return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes. Remove once the rice is tender & there is no more liquid. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Cooking this in the oven produced a wonderful dish, I did some amount adjustments and used a 14-ounce can diced drained tomatoes in place of the fresh tomato as I did not have one at the time, I also added in 2 good teaspoonfuls of chili flakes and used chicken broth, I used white converted rice for this, thanks for sharing Nasseh, this was great!
This is a wonderful dish and as pretty to look at as it is delicious! I used saffron-flavored rice instead of regular rice and pulverized saffron; I also left out the onion. This dish cooked perfectly in the 40 minute time and smelled so good as it cooked. All in all a great dish - thanks for sharing this recipe!