Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a high-fiber, low-fat meal that's perfect for vegetarians. It's also high in folic acid so it's good if you're pregnant. Oh, and it's pretty tasty too!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, broken up
- 1 (19 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- Use a large saucepan to heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, rice, water and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add water as needed, if rice starts to dry out.
- Add green pepper and simmer uncover for three minutes or until rice is tender.
Very good and easy to put together! Just the right amount of seasoning. Thanks for posting.
I left out the green pepper and used slightly less pepper flakes. This is very easy to make and I like that the ingredients are things that I commonly have in my kitchen. Very tasty! Great recipe!
Had to improvise a little, used fresh tomatoes and uncooked lentils but still worked out fine. Really enjoyed this, added a little vegetable stock powder. Will be keeping this recipe.