Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I have yet to make it, but I don't really seen any drastic changes that I would make. If anyone decides to give it a try, let me know if you come up with any changes that you think would benefit this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked texmati rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfat free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cubed ham, leftover if u have some
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet.
- Add shrimp and ¼ teaspoon oregano; sauté until is just cooked about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove shrimp.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet.
- Add sweet red pepper, onion and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Stir in rice, the remaining ¼ teaspoon oregano and broth.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, salt, pepper flakes and ham.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Return shrimp to skillet; heat through, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.