Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An all time favorite that combines sausage and rice, topped with chicken. This rice is absolutely the best!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon other cooking oil
- 3 lbs of meaty chicken pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 teaspoons fresh garlic
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs kielbasa, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13x2-inch pan.
- In frying pan, add oil and heat 2 minutes on medium-high temperature.
- Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and brown each piece.
- Remove from frying pan and drain on two layers of paper towels.
- To the frying pan, add onion, garlic, peppers and sausage in skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are lightly browned.
- To remove grease, pour ingredients into a colander and run under hot water for 1 minute; drain well.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Spread mushrooms evenly over vegetable and sausage layer.
- Add water, rice, chicken bouillon, basil, curry powder, paprika, rice and green peas.
- Gently stir ingredients to mix well.
- Place chicken pieces on top of casserole.
- Cover casserole.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F, uncover casserole, and continue baking another 20 to 30 minutes until rice is tender.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Wow is all I can say! This was so good and most importantly my toddler ate this up!! I will definitely make this again. Thank you for a great recipe!
Where do I start? This is SO good! I chose to use 1 red pepper(for color) for 1 of the green peppers and used fresh mushrooms sauteed with the rest of the veggies. I could not locate my curry powder, but with the small amount I assumed it was for color mainly and subbed some saffron with dashes of ginger and cumin. I also used Portuguese sausage instead of kielbasa which is still garlicky only spicier! I cooked it according to directions adding the 1 t. basil and 1/2 t. paprika (corrections to recipe Yooper is sending in). My house smelled fantastic while this was cooking! I couldn't wait to eat it. It makes ALOT! Which is good, because you will want to eat this more than once! The rice really is wonderful, first bite you think...ok...then the subtle nuances of flavor start to kick in. The two meats contrast yet compliment each other. I highly recommend this recipe.
This was simply delicious! I halved the recipe and still came out with perfect results. The peppers and onions balanced out nicely for a great taste. Very filling. The only thing I didn't add was peas because I don't like them.