Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came about from wanting a meatless meal and relying on items in my pantry.
Make and share this Spanish Rice With Black Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 -4 ounce canned diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 8 ounces manchego cheese, grated
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in large pot. Saute onion, garlic and bell pepper until softened. Add rice, chili powder, cumin and Chipotle Chile powder and stir for about 1 minute until rice looks opaque. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, green chiles and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat to low simmer and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally until rice is tender. Add green onions and black beans stirring to warm through. Serve with cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream.
Made this for PAC fall 2011. Very good spanish rice. It makes a ton