Recipe by Boca Pat
This came from a Better Homes & Garden cook book. This meal has so much flavor, is simple to prepare and it's a cheap meal!
Top Review by Jellyqueen
This is a great recipe. I didn't want to use ground beef, so I placed some thin cut pork chops in the bottom of the casserole dish, made everthing else according to directions and poured over the pork chops. Put it in the oven and baked and it made a beautiful casserole that is very good. Can't wait to eat the left overs for lunch today.
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add garlic & celery, brown stirring constantly.
- Mix rice, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, bay leaf and cayenne with hot water.
- Add to garlic & celery in skillet.
- Stir well & cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes.
- Brown beef & green pepper.
- Remove from heat and drain. Stir in chili powder, sugar, & beef bouillon.
- Combine rice & meat mixture in 3-qt baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- (Add water or tomato juice if necessary, stir occasionally).