Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This came from a Better Homes & Garden cook book. This meal has so much flavor, is simple to prepare and it's a cheap meal!
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Add garlic & celery, brown stirring constantly.
- Mix rice, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, bay leaf and cayenne with hot water.
- Add to garlic & celery in skillet.
- Stir well & cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes.
- Brown beef & green pepper.
- Remove from heat and drain. Stir in chili powder, sugar, & beef bouillon.
- Combine rice & meat mixture in 3-qt baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- (Add water or tomato juice if necessary, stir occasionally).
This is a great recipe. I didn't want to use ground beef, so I placed some thin cut pork chops in the bottom of the casserole dish, made everthing else according to directions and poured over the pork chops. Put it in the oven and baked and it made a beautiful casserole that is very good. Can't wait to eat the left overs for lunch today.
This was a really delicious dish. Very quick to put together. I added in some fresh diced tomatoes with the canned. I really think I put in more than a pinch of cayenne or chili powder because it had quite a zing to it, but I loved it. As well I used red peppers as I don't really care for the green ones. This dish makes a whole lot of food, I really think it is more than 6 servings, I am hoping I can freeze this because it is way too much and I don't want to waste it. Made for the Comfort Cafe '09. Thanks for the recipe Boca Pat
This is simple to make, but great tasting. Perfect on the level of spices. Thanks for sharing.