Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another wonderful recipe from Quick Cooking magazine and a perfect side dish for steak or a Mexican meal.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (and seeded, if less heat it desired)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Add oil to the drippings and saute onion for 3 minutes. Add rice and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with bacon and serve.
I've made this twice now, along with tacos and refried beans. It turns out just right. My family loves it! Thanks so much for sharing.