Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My boys love Spanish rice in a restaurant but we only eat brown rice at home and I was not happy with the results. Using a basic Spanish Rice recipe, I replaced the rice with Quinoa. If you haven't tried Quinoa you must - It is just so yummy and easy to make! Be sure to rinse it very well (VERY well!) or it could taste bitter.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa (rinsed numerous time)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- Depending on your preference, blend the canned or fresh tomatoes in a blender to remove chunks.
- Add water to tomatoes so you have 1 1/2 cups liquid (tomatoes + water).
- Add well rinsed quinoa, water/tomato mixture and garlic to a sauce pan and heat to boiling.
- Lower heat & simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining ingredients & mix well.
- Salt as needed.
Does not make very much, I suggest doubling the recipe.
This turned out better than I expected!! I absolutley loved it, loved it!! I had all of the ingredients in my pantry and fridge, so that was really nice! I love that it's healthy, inexpensive, and easy, my three favorite things in a recipe!! the only thing I did differently was adding diced carrots and sliced olives. So so yummy!!
Very very good recipe. We eat quinoa plain all the time, and let's be honest- it's not the best tasting food! This was a great way to serve this grain- and I was able to make it into a side dish for fish. I used diced tomatoes with green chilis, because I had it on hand- I think that was a great choice- extra zing. I used three garlic cloves which I blended with the tomatoes. I added the seasonings mentioned during the cooking, rather than at the end. The only issue I had was that I didn't have the option to add water, as the tomatoes blended into 1.5c of liquid. So, I upped the liquid because I didn't know if the quinoa would cook with no water. It worked out very well. My cooking time to get it to a non-soupy texture was 24 minutes. Thanks for sharing!