Recipe by Zenmaria
My boys love Spanish rice in a restaurant but we only eat brown rice at home and I was not happy with the results. Using a basic Spanish Rice recipe, I replaced the rice with Quinoa. If you haven't tried Quinoa you must - It is just so yummy and easy to make! Be sure to rinse it very well (VERY well!) or it could taste bitter.
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa (rinsed numerous time)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- Depending on your preference, blend the canned or fresh tomatoes in a blender to remove chunks.
- Add water to tomatoes so you have 1 1/2 cups liquid (tomatoes + water).
- Add well rinsed quinoa, water/tomato mixture and garlic to a sauce pan and heat to boiling.
- Lower heat & simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining ingredients & mix well.
- Salt as needed.