Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Got an extra box of Spanish Rice in the pantry? This is a good way to use it up. I think I like this soup more than the spanish rice by itself. You could use more meat if you like or vary the water/beef bouillon content. You could substitute beef broth instead of the cubes too. I use the cubes because I always have them on hand.
- 1⁄2 lb round steak
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) box Spanish rice mix
- 8 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cut round steak into small cubes (I make mine 1/2 inch or less).
- In dutch oven, cook beef and garlic in butter over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Lightly process can of tomatoes in food processor until chunks are smaller and the consistency is a little more saucy without being completely tomato sauce.
- Add tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, and entire contents of Spanish Rice mix to meat and garlic in dutch oven.
- Cover tightly and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.