Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This will look a little thin at first but it will turn out. If you use brown rice it will be a little crunchy.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 lemon zest, 3 in strips
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3-4 inches
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Bring water to a boil with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Cook, covered, over low heat until water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- Stir in milk, sugar, zest, and cinnamon stick and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until thickened and rice is tender, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm in a large shallow bowl, surface covered with a piece of buttered wax paper.
This pudding was good but not quite enough flavor for me.So next time I would definitely use quite a bit more spice.But over all a great method for a recipe.Thanks! Made for Zingo ZWT5.
I thought this recipe turned out great. After adding the milk, sugar, zest and cinnamon stick, I let it simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. It was still soupy looking, but I poured it into a ceramic pie pan, covered it with the buttered wax paper and let it cool off. When I tried some for dessert tonight, it was the pefect consistency and tasted great. I loved the hint of lemon in this pudding. Made for ZWT5.
This dish was ok, I might make it again but will definitely add some different spices to it or something, not sure what. After reading the other reviews I made some changes that I think helped. I didn't use any water, and only used half the milk, I also used a full teaspoon of vanilla. Made for ZWT 5 - Jammin Java Jivers.