Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package Spanish rice, and vermicelli mix
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- diced avocado
- sliced ripe olives
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- taco sauce
- In a skillet,cook beef,onion and garlic until meat is browned, drain.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning; add remaining seasoning to beef.
- Stir in 3/4 c.
- water; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, saute rice mix in butter over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, contents of rice seasoning packet and remaining water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in beef mixture.
- Spread over tortillas to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine tomato sauce and reserved taco seasoning; pour over the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
Well, these were just super awesome. Next time I might add a can of rotel instead of diced tomatoes only because I like things really, really spicy. This is a new favorite in our house!
What a great enchilada recipe. I loved the filling with spicy beef and Spanish rice and cheese. Never had enchiladas like this and was really impressed. This was a nicely seasoned dish but not hot which is good so my kids could eat it. Would be easy to increase the fire with some jalapenos or even hotter peppers. We had a great family meal. Thanks Nurse Di.
Great flavor and easy to make. I made the cooking time smaller by using all-ready prepared taco seasoned beef. Good with a tossed salad and a glass of hearty red wine.