Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
The shells for this main course call for refrigerated pie crust, which must be folded into pockets. Inside, you’ll find tender pieces of chicken and rice accented with Spanish spices. Delicious!
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package Spanish rice and vermicelli mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) packagesrefrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or oil. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cheese, onions and olives. Stir in prepared rice.
- Roll each sheet of pastry into a 12-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Spoon rice mixture over half of each circle; spread to within 1 inches of edges. Fold pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over tops.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut empanadas in half to serve.