1/2 Photos of Spanish Rice Casserole
This is easy and very tasty, it's good served hot or at room temperature for a side dish, or as a main meal. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste. Add in finely chopped jalapeno pepper or crushed chili peppper for some heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup water (or use juice from tomatoes with water to make 1 cup)
- 1/2-3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional and to taste)
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 3In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat; drain the fat, and transfer beef to a large pot over medium low heat.
- 4Stir in onion, garlic green pepper, tomatoes, water, rice, chili sauce, salt, pepper, brown sugar, cumin and Worcestershire sauce.
- 5Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish; press mixture down firmly.
- 6Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- 7Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 8Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.8
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 833.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 35.7 g