This is easy and very tasty, it's good served hot or at room temperature for a side dish, or as a main meal. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste. Add in finely chopped jalapeno pepper or crushed chili peppper for some heat.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup water (or use juice from tomatoes with water to make 1 cup)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional and to taste)
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat; drain the fat, and transfer beef to a large pot over medium low heat.
- Stir in onion, garlic green pepper, tomatoes, water, rice, chili sauce, salt, pepper, brown sugar, cumin and Worcestershire sauce.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish; press mixture down firmly.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.