Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a Southern Living 1979 cookbook. This is good, hearty fare -- best remembered by the time we had a bachelor neighbor to dinner and he ate about four helpings.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to crumble, until browned.
- Drain sausage on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. (Use a big slotted spoon to remove sausage from the skillet.).
- Combine rice and onion in reserved drippings, stirring to brown lightly over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder and pepper. Add sausage. Stir to combine.
- Spoon into a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake (covered) at 350 for 1 hour.
Made this yesterday with some local sausage. It was very good! I also used Del Monte diced tomatoes with mild chilies and the spice level was perfect for us. Topped with a little Mexican Blend 2% cheese and it was a great lunch! Thanks for sharing!!