Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from Melodie at allrecipes.com. You can substitue real Cheddar for the low-fat, if you are not calorie conscious. You can also garnish with chopped cilantro and sour cream (full- or non-fat), if you like. It's even better the next day (so I'm tagging it OAMC/Make-ahead).
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) cancanned diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, heat to your taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Brown the ground beef in a 2 qt oven- and range-safe Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes, water, rice, salsa, salt, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Do not lift the lid for at least the first 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.