Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice side dish! Yummy and very easy to make. This is also how I make my rice 2 to 1.
Make and share this Spanish Rice and Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen)
- 1⁄4 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring stock to boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic 5-7 minutes or until onions are softened.
- Stir in bell peppers and sauté another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice to vegetable mixture.
- Cook until heated throughout.
- Serve with chicken, steak, or pork and fresh green beans or spinach, and some nice biscuits.
Found this recipe to be easy and accurate..made a few changes ie: skipped the mushrooms and garlic and added a can of drained mixed veges; just as a matter of preference. Got rave reviews at my dinner table!
I got a great deal on "traffic-light" bell peppers (one each red, yellow and green), and this was a great way to use them. A very colorful side dish that I served with chicken enchiladas. I prefer a little kick to my Spanish rice so I added a splash of Tabasco.