Recipe by Barb in WNY
Clipped from a magazine years ago. This recipe is so good my brother asked for a copy. Very unusual.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 16 ounces tomatoes
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté bacon until crisp in a large frying pan; remove and drain on paper towels.
- Mix ground beef lightly with egg, breadcrumbs, and 1 teaspoon salt until well blended; shape into 16 small balls.
- Brown in bacon drippings in he same pan; push to one side.
- Stir onion, celery, green pepper, and chili powder into pan; sauté until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, water and remaining salt; heat to boiling, stirring lightly to mix; cover.
- Simmer, adding more water if mixture seems dry, about 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with saved bacon.