Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such a wonderful-tasting beef/rice casserole, and easy to prepare, no need any side dish, everything is cooked in one dish, well... maybe just a side salad. This will become a regular dish, when you taste this. (Note: as the recipe calls for peas to be added in at the end, but you can use any kind of veggie desired)
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Set oven to 350 degrees. /Cut beef into 1/4-inch strips. /In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. /Add the beef, bell pepper, onion, garlic (1/2 at a time), stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. /Stir in uncooked rice, chili powder, salt and pepper; add in tomatoes (with their juice) and water Bake in oven, tightly covered, for 30-35 minutes, or until beef and rice are tender. /Remove from oven, stir in peas. /Serve and enjoy!
Tastes great! Did have to bake it a bit longer than stated, and still some of the rice was a wee bit crunchy. Topped with some cheese and browned that on top after baking the casserole. Also switched in green beans for the peas and added them with the rice etc.. Yummy!
this realy hit the spot. a great rice and beef dish. easy to put together and long on flavor, agreat recipe thanks.