Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is very easy and forgiving. You can do a lot with it to "make it your own".
Make and share this Spanish Rice and Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes (or use Rotel for an extra "kick")
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained (or any other beans of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a skillet, cook onion, green pepper and celery in butter until onion is tender.
- Blend in rice, tomatoes, beans, seasonings and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Turn mixture into a greased casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- **Sometimes I like to melt a little Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese on top during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Also, if my daughter isn't eating with us, I'll use Rotel instead of the tomatoes. I've even been known to add a dash or two of hot sauce!
- If you don't like black beans, use pinto beans or chili beans. The choice is yours.
- Of course meat eaters can add browned ground beef or chicken.
- Also, to make this a really easy meal I sometimes cook it on the stove in my large cast iron skillet and just pop it in the oven in that! Now that truly is a one-pot meal!