Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very good side dish. Delicious, moist. Will bring comfort and compliments. Enjoy!
- 3 slice bacon
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 14.79-29.58 ml butter
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 sweet onion, peeled,chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh celery, chopped
- 236.59 ml uncooked white rice
- 793.78 g can chopped tomatoes or 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes, in juice
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat until it is browned.
- Remove bacon to a plate with paper towels on it.
- Allow it to drain.
- Add beef to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, breaking up beef well, leaving no lumps.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stirring in well.
- Cook until beef is browned, another 3 or 4 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Reserve beef in a bowl.
- Add butter to pan, melting it over low heat.
- Stir in onions, celery and bell pepper.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or until onions are somewhat translucent.
- Add reserved beef.
- Add rice, undrained tomatoes, water, dark brown sugar.
- Stir well.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.
- Crumble reserved bacon and stir it in.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasoning.