Nita Holleman's Note:
Very good side dish. Delicious, moist. Will bring comfort and compliments. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 sweet onion, peeled,chopped
- 1/2 sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh celery, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Cook bacon over medium-low heat until it is browned.
- 2Remove bacon to a plate with paper towels on it.
- 3Allow it to drain.
- 4Add beef to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, breaking up beef well, leaving no lumps.
- 5Cook for about 5 minutes.
- 6Add tomato paste, stirring in well.
- 7Cook until beef is browned, another 3 or 4 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- 8Reserve beef in a bowl.
- 9Add butter to pan, melting it over low heat.
- 10Stir in onions, celery and bell pepper.
- 11Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or until onions are somewhat translucent.
- 12Add reserved beef.
- 13Add rice, undrained tomatoes, water, dark brown sugar.
- 14Stir well.
- 15Heat to boiling.
- 16Reduce heat to low.
- 17Cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.
- 18Crumble reserved bacon and stir it in.
- 19Season with salt and pepper.
- 20Adjust seasoning.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Rice ala Nita
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.4
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 892.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 31.8 g