Recipe by Nita Holleman
Very good side dish. Delicious, moist. Will bring comfort and compliments. Enjoy!
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 sweet onion, peeled,chopped
- 1⁄2 sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh celery, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat until it is browned.
- Remove bacon to a plate with paper towels on it.
- Allow it to drain.
- Add beef to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, breaking up beef well, leaving no lumps.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stirring in well.
- Cook until beef is browned, another 3 or 4 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Reserve beef in a bowl.
- Add butter to pan, melting it over low heat.
- Stir in onions, celery and bell pepper.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or until onions are somewhat translucent.
- Add reserved beef.
- Add rice, undrained tomatoes, water, dark brown sugar.
- Stir well.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.
- Crumble reserved bacon and stir it in.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasoning.