Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy meal and everyone usually loves this. I usually make it into a casserole, and put finished product into into a greased casserole dish, then add the cheese to the top and bake until cheese melts and serve.
- 2 (6 ounce) boxesspanish rice Rice-A-Roni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans corn (drained)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
- 1 teaspoon luzianne cajun seasoning or 1 teaspoon similar mixed spice
- 2 -3 dashes lousiana style hot sauce
- Brown ground beef with onions and bellpepper. Drain grease.
- In a dutch oven prepare both boxes of rice a roni to box directions.
- When rice mixture comes to a boil, add hamburger with onions and bell pepper to rice, add in cans of corn and cajun seasoning. Bring mixture to a boil and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir often to prevent rice from sticking. When rice is done, add cheese, stir and serve!
- I always add more hot sauce to my plate of food, but I love the twang of hot sauce.
This was a great, easy recipe. I used it as a side dish for our cinco de mayo party. I substituted spicy sausage for the ground beef and used cayenne and cumin in place of the cajun (only to keep it a little more in theme with our party). Instead of baking in a casserole, I popped into our slow cooker after step 3 and it kept perfectly for a couple of hours while we enjoyed our guests. Thanks for sharing!