- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives (may use sliced stuffed green olives as well)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion and sliced garlic.
- Cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and place a thick towel between the pan lid and pan.
- Allow to sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.