Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very flavorful. Goes well with either Spanish or Mexican food.
Make and share this Spanish Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives (may use sliced stuffed green olives as well)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion and sliced garlic.
- Cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and place a thick towel between the pan lid and pan.
- Allow to sit undisturbed for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
So easy,so perfect! I served this alongside a sweet/spicy roast pork.They complimented each other well.
A hit at our house! I left out the olives, because my son doesn't like them. I also used two rice cooker scoops of rice, which is 1 1/2 cups. I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil, then added the washed, drained long-grain rice and sauteed it for a minute, stirring constantly. I scraped the onion-garlic-rice mixture into the rice cooker, then put the chicken broth in the pot to get the last of the mixture out and poured it into the rice cooker. Added all the other ingredients, and pushed the button. Voila! Tasty rice.
This is a fantastic recipe for Spanish rice! I used brown long grain rice, and had to cook it for close to an hour before it was done. I also added 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder, and a pinch of cayenne, because I only had canned tomatoes on hand instead of Rotel. Delicious! I was hoping to have some left over for breakfast with an egg on top, but it's all gone. Oh well, will have to make more!