Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This came from a Betty Crocker cookbook. It's simple and really great.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Heat oil in 10" skillet over medium heat.
- Cook rice and onion in oil about 5 min.
- Stir frequently, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer about 30 min.
- Stir occasionally, until rice is tender.
I've gotta give credit to this recipe. My husband is not a big fan of spanish rice and I made this for him once hoping to maybe change his mind.....he loved it! He has told me twice now that I can keep this recipe. I added a little more chili powder and garlic and also added a can of diced green chilis too. Got numerous compliments from friends and family when I made it last night!
I've used this recipe, or a similar one for years. Very easy and consistantly delicous. I added some chopped bell pepper to mine. Pam
My husband, who usually doesn't like spanish rice, loved this but I agree with reviewers that it needs tweaking. I lightened up on the chili powder since I had the hot kind & used onion powder for the onions. Cheddar might hlep for next time & maybe some minced garlic. I will certainly work with this. Thanks!