Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great rice side dish with fresh veggies. Recipe from Taste of Home.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup diced cooked carrot
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in hot oil until lightly browned.
- Add onion, garlic and salt and cook over low heat until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add water and cover and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Stir in broth, peas and carrots.
- Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
For tonight's dinner I went looking on the site for an easy rice recipe to serve with tacos. This worked perfectly. For the peas and carrots, I used instead 2/3 cup frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots and peas). I like that the tomatoes didn't turn to mush. Thanks for sharing a delicious and easy recipe! cg ;)
This is a very good rice recipe. Lots of flavour. Colourful. Mine was a bit soggy, maybe the rice was overcooked. I think the cooking time should be a bit shorter.
This is very good .. However the liquid/rice ratio is a bit off as my rice was slightly soggy .. I will reduce the amount next time, this is definitely a keeper in my book! thank you