Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I am always looking for a good Spanish rice and this one hits the spot! Remember to allow 20 minutes to let it stand. Trust the recipe. lol
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green bell peppers, chopped
- In a sauce pan that has a tight fitting cover, melt the butter and sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the rice with butter, then add the tomato juice, water, bouillon cubes, pepper sauce, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Stir to dissolve the bouillon cubes and bring to a boil.
- Once the liquid reaches a boil, reduce heat to its lowest setting, cover, and go away for 25 minutes.
- Do not stir, do not look under the lid, do not worry!
- Once your timer goes off, remove the pan from the heat, lift the lid off quickly and throw in the tomatoes, and chopped peppers and put the lid back on quickly.
- Do not stir, do not taste, do not worry!
- Allow the rice to steam in the pan for 20 more minutes.
I took this to a group function and everyone loved it! They were scraping the bottom of the pan to get more.
This is very tasty. I have made it many times by now and the only change I make is substituting the chicken stock cube with Maggi vegetable stock with onion cubes(since we are vegetarians).
This was sooooooo good. I have been looking for a recipie forever that both my boyfriend and me could agree on, this was it. I always hate it when someone is reviewing a recipie and puts in that they changed this oand that, but now I am going to be one of those people. I did make a couple changes. I used Spicy Hot V-8 in place of the tomato juice and I cut back on the rice by 1/4 C. and replaced it with some thin spagetti broken in small pieces (vermecelli) and I also added some chopped fresh cilantro. It was the best ever, I am not even looking for another recipie anymore.