Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a great side dish for fajitas, pork loin or ribs, or grilled chicken. Originally from a friend in Boulder, CO. who, by the way, is a terrific cook! This has become a family favorite and is a wonderful blend of flavors!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- 1 cup canned diced tomato, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 cup chicken bouillon
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice, enough to make 2 1/2 cup liquid when combined with juice from diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- Sauté onions, pepper, garlic, and carrots in butter until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté 10 minutes (add additional butter if needed), stirring often.
- Add liquid, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.
Wonderful rice dish. I made this for a big group (30) so made it in 3 batches. I added some chopped coriander just before serving. Lots of requests for the recipe
Leslie in Texas, Thank you so much for posting this recipe. My dad and I really liked it. I added a 4oz. can of diced green chilies and some hot sauce. Next time I will cut the recipe in half as this makes a lot for just the two of us. It was very good with the Tequila-Lime Chicken Tacos I made tonight.
This was yummy! My rice didn't quite get done (still a little crunchy). Next time I'll simmer for 5 more minutes or so. We served this with torilla #7417 & refried beans #10614. The meal rocked!