Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rice recipe that bakes in your oven.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned tomato, chopped and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika or 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked spanish paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F In a 10" ovenproof skillet, or stove-top safe casserole dish and cook the vegetable oil, bacon, onion, bell pepper, and garlic clove over medium heat, stirring, until onions are golden. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until well-coated.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Stir once, cover, and transfer to the oven. Bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Uncover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
I took your basic recipe and added in a few things-cumin, 1/2 cup each of peas and corn, and fresh coriander to finish. YUM!!
I made this for ZWT 5's trip to Spain and we loved it. I had a Serrano chili pepper and added that, chopped and seeded to the onion and bacon mixture and I also used brown rice instead of white. The added heat from the pepper really stood up to the extra texture from the brown rice and the resulting dish was exceptional. Baking the rice also was a nice, simple final step and made prep fast. Thanks for posting Scarlett!