Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious combination of ground beef, crushed tomatoes, brown rice, and seasonings.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place rice, water, onion, cumin, bay leaf, red pepper flakes, garlic sale, and pepper into medium saucepan, stir and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 35-40 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, remove the bay leaf, and allow the rice to sit for 5 minutes covered. In a separate pan, brown and drain the ground beef, add the celery and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, chili powder and cayenne. Then gently stir in the rice and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Place the mixture into a 9 or 10 inch square pan and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes.
I used a 14 oz package of Gimmebean "ground sausage" (meatless) instead of the ground beef, used a minced garlic clove instead of the garlic salt, and left out the cayenne (cooking with kids in mind). It was yummy and the kids ate it, but I was disapointed with the next-day leftovers. My advice - eat it all up.
Good stuff. I modified the recipe to have no meat and no baking (who wants to cook something twice?) So I added everything for the initial stage plus the tomatoes and other spices and boiled then simmered. This was good. Enjoy!